Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Future Plans

Although it is obvious that I want to become a pilot, my ultimate goal is that of a cargo pilot. With a dream of working for UPS.  I feel that we have lost our roots with air mail, and that this is one way for me to contribute to that system by working for the largest package delivery service in the world.  They pay is good and I feel that I would have a great sense of accomplishment working for UPS. 

I plan on attaining these goals in a not so standard manner.  Most people, would continue on and become a flight instructor to build up hours for flight time and better positions in the industry.  I however, Do not want to be a Flight Instructor, as I know that I am not one to teach, and get frustrated when I do.  I want to get my hours in a more adventurous way.  I want to be a bush pilot either in Alaska or Canada, or norther states.  I feel that this is the only way that I will be able to get the skills needed to be a first officer.  I feel that that the life of a flight instructor is boring.  Yes they have 500 or 600 hours taught. But in all actuality it is the same one hour over and over again,  and the pattern is only so much fun for so long.  Being a bush pilot would open the doors to multiple opportunities and different scenarios, some even dangerous, but without those encounters, you are still the same pilot who hasn't learned anything after attaining your commercial certificate. 

I plan on taking these skills as a bush pilot and leadership skills I have learned through my years of life and applying them for a first officer position at UPS.  Although the life of a cargo pilot is a tedious one,  one with sporadic hours and little down time, I feel that the overall sense of accomplishment I will have, will make it all worth it. 

This sector of aviation in my opinion is one of the most important in the industry.  Without the flight department and worldwide reach of UPS,  many people would not receive their mail or packages in an urgent manner.  WE can take a package from Atlanta GA, (UPS headquarters) and send it to Beijing China, in under 24 hours.  Which although would be expensive, is utterly remarkable.  UPS is paving the way to a more unified world, And I would be honored to be on their team of pilots. 

1 comment:

  1. These are excellent goals and it is great that you have it narrowed down to a specific company - and a good one, at that. I hope you do build your time as a bush pilot, for completely selfish reasons. Then I would a bush pilot contact to speak to this class :-). Best of luck and stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete